The state of arson charges in Pennsylvania is scary. The science just isn’t there.
If you do nothing else, please read the The Story of James Hugney Sr.
Learn More About James and how we used science to beat the arson charge
- Pennsylvania Innocence Project profile of James Hugney
- Penn Live: “Attorney for man freed after nearly 36 years in prison thankful ‘criminal justice system worked'”
- The Washington Post: “This week in innocence: Joseph Sledge and James Hugney Sr.”
- Fox 43: “Man freed after 35 years in prison for crime he did not commit”
When selecting which attorney to hire, please consider:
- Can you call anytime and talk to a live person?
- Do they offer payment plans with no credit checks?
- Will your attorney be attentive and explain what’s going on?
At The McShane Firm, we answer yes to all of these questions. We strive to provide you with a great customer service experience during this tough time.
What you need to know about Arson charges in PA
There’s not a lot of information available out there on Pennsylvania Arson Laws. Why? Most attorneys don’t know squat about it. We do. We teach lawyers, judges, scientists and prosecutors about fire science. Nationally, folks all over the US know us for our heavy background in forensic science. That’s why folks call us The Science Attorneys. The government is supposed to use science as be the cornerstone of arson charges. Oftentimes, science is totally missing from these cases.
There’s an old joke that goes: What do you call someone who escapes a fire but their family dies in it? Answer: the Defendant. It’s crude. But if you look all over the nation, this is true. The police are quick to accuse. But in reality arson charges are very hard for the government to prove.
Pennsylvania Arson Penalties
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania defines arson as when:
“a person intentionally starts a fire or causes an explosion, or if he aids, counsels, pays or agrees to pay another to cause a fire or explosion, whether on his own property or on that of another, and if (i) he thereby recklessly places another person in danger of death or bodily injury, including but not limited to a firefighter, police officer or other person…actively engaged in fighting the fire; or (ii) he commits the act with the purpose of…destroying or damaging an inhabited building or occupied structure of another.”
Some myths busted
- The building does not have to be a home or a business to qualify as arson.
- The building does not have to burn to the ground to qualify as arson.
- In fact, the State does not need to prove that you intended to burn the structure in question down to convict you, only that you intentionally started the fire.
- You do not have to give a statement to the insurance company if your property is damaged by fire.
What is The McShane Difference?
- We take time to understand your personal needs and goals. Then we cater our legal strategy to fit you.
- We care about you. We listen and return phone calls. We will take time to explain things so you are not left anxious in the dark.
- We will make this as easy as possible. We will try to minimize the number of times you have to be in court which means less disruption of your work and family life.
Does this sound like what you are looking for in an attorney? If yes, then take the next step and call (717) 657-3900.
Your Attorney Needs to Know the State of Arson Science
A fire inspector also needs to appear in court and testify that he or she has reason to suspect arson. Oftentimes, these fire investigators are non-scientists who do not understand or have never been exposed to the science of fire. For this reason, you must have an arson science trained attorney on your side. This person may be the only one in the courtroom who has a firm understanding of forensic science of fire debris investigation. We have ready access to top experts who can stand up to the state hogwash.
Arson is a felony of the first degree with high sentencing guidelines. The maximum sentence is up to 20 years. If the fire injured or killed anyone, you can also face aggravated assault or murder charges.
If you’re facing trial for arson, you need experience in your corner. The McShane Firm CEO Justin McShane has extensive forensic science training, He has been to several fire and arson seminars conducted through the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). This is the same type of training that advanced fire investigators get.
Our Clients are entitled to a Bill of Rights which states:
- Our clients have the right to expect, we will be proactive in communication. You will hear it from us first. We will return all phone calls, texts and emails promptly.
- Our clients have the right to expect plain speaking, straight shooting. No B. S.
- Our clients have the right to expect us to do it right the first time, every time.
- Our clients have the right to expect us to be on time and professionally prepared for all court appearances, and all meetings.
- Our clients have the right to expect that they will be fully informed at all times.
This is our promise to you. Call today to get us on your side: (717) 657-3900.
World renowned expert
McShane has been featured in articles about the sad state of fire science in America. He is the go to defense expert for news journalists all over the world. He was recently quoted in Discover Magazine regarding a lack of scientific expertise in the prosecution of arson crimes. According to McShane:
“It’s still the Wild West out there. You’ve still got people talking about crazed glass or using the most damage as an indicator of the source. One can only hope that in ten to twenty years we get trained scientists doing these investigations.”
The ATF/PSP/PA DCNR held a conference called “Arson Investigation for Prosecutors.” Attorney McShane taught there. Prosecutors from around the United States learned from him about the true science of fire and explosive debris investigation.
Watch as Justin McShane and the Pennsylvania State Police Arson Investigation Unit teach prosecutors about Arson science
Additional recommended reading:
With any guilty verdict on any charge I would have been given 20 months of back time in a PA DOC Facility. Your firm gave me another chance. I will recommend you to anyone who wants their own second chance.
Without a doubt, the BEST Criminal law defense attorneys around! Choosing The McShane Firm for DUI defense was one of the best decisions of my life. Literally. They’re smart, look at case details in depth, and treat you like family.
The McShane Firm is hands down the best criminal defense and DUI defense firm in Central PA. I have worked with them and have referred many others. They not only use the law but modern science and technology to resolve your case. Don’t fall for the goofy commercials with catchy jingles!! These men and women are the ture professionals you not only want, but NEED on your side. 5 stars aren’t enough!!
Corey and Cassandra did everything I could have ever hoped for! I had never been in any kind of trouble before and had tons and tons of questions. No matter how many times I contacted them, they were so quick to get me an answer and help me through so such a stressful time. I got exactly the outcome I was looking for (probably even better to be honest) and it was a very quick resolution as well. I would 100% recommend them to anyone in need of an attorney. I cannot thank them enough!